Re: was Shock Bolts Now maintenance scheduling.

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 13:15:15 EDT

--- Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> Ray Irons wrote:
>

> > Must be a 4X4 thing. I have nearly 150K miles on
> my 98
> > and (knockwood) most all of it is original.
> >
> > I still even have the factory U-joints, ring,
> pinion,
> > clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing in
> there.
>

> Your ring and pinion , even your clutch I can
> believe at 150Kare still
> good... but factory non-greaseable Ujoints?? I'd be
> leery of those at 150K!

Yes Tom, they are still factory original. I have a
confession to make though (hanging head in shame) even
at nearly 150K miles, I've followed the advice of my
father. He was a rural letter carrier for 30 years and
drove school bus for 50 years before his retirement.
His last mail truck, he ordered special from Dodge
with right hand drive, was a 74 D100. It finally gave
up the ghost in 79 with over 300K miles on it. We
changed the clutch once a year,the brakes every 6
months, and the oil every 5K miles. I have to date
mostly followed the same maintenance schedule and this
is where my confession comes in. At nearly 150K miles,
i have never changed the transmission fluid (5spd) the
diff fluid, or the coolant. I do check the levels and
they are up to snuff and I check the coolant to make
sure its gonna protect me to at least 20 below.

The only current issue I have is with the AC. I'll be
driving along and all of a sudden it starts blowing
warm air. Sometimes it comes back to cold air and
other times, I just shut it off and roll down the
windows. This only happens after I've been driving for
more than an hour or so. I half suspect the charge
pressure switch. Its either that or the drain is
clogged and the condenser is freezing up. Of course
since we are coming into winter, I'm not too concerned
with it's operation right now.

Ray