Re: Daktoberfest Return

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 21:07:37 EST

"Chris Reck" <chris92@insightbb.com> wrote:

: I'm now looking to replace all three u-joints on the front drive shaft to be
: safe. I've found that AC Delco makes a greasable joint, but I can't figure
: out which part to choose. I was going to order them from RockAuto online
: but they have very generic descriptions. Can someone who knows the parts go
: to the following link and let me know what to order? I'd like the
: heavy-duty greasable ones...

: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1353989,parttype,2392

: I think I need one of these three parts, but I can't tell.

: ACDELCO Part # 45U0115
: JOINT KIT,PROP SHF FRT UNIVERSAL -; HIGH STRENGTH (GREASEABLE)
: DIAGRAM G, POSITION 3 - REFERENCED IN PAPER CATALOG
: 4 WHEEL DRIVE {GREASABLE U-JOINT #89029297}

: ACDELCO Part # 45U0111
: JOINT KIT,F/AXL PROP SHF FRT UNIVERSAL -; HIGH STRENGTH
: (GREASEABLE)
: DIAGRAM G, POSITION 2 - REFERENCED IN PAPER CATALOG
: 4 WHEEL DRIVE {GREASABLE U-JOINT #89029293}

: ACDELCO Part # 45U0111
: JOINT KIT,F/AXL PROP SHF RR UNIVERSAL -; DOUBLE CARDAN JOINT
: 2 REQUIRED; HIGH STRENGTH (GREASEABLE)
: DIAGRAM G, POSITION 1 - REFERENCED IN PAPER CATALOG
: 4 WHEEL DRIVE {GREASABLE U-JOINT #89029293}

    I don't know enough about 'em to tell you which ones you
need, but I don't think any of the above are correct. My
understanding is that whenever someone references a "prop shaft"
u-joint, they are talking about the joints inside the front
axle themselves; the ones at your steering knuckles which
allow your front wheels to turn and still transmit power;
sort've like what a CV joint does.

    Part number 280 sounds more like what you need for the
front driveshaft itself:

     PRECISION Part # 280
        Front Shaft at Transfer Case, 4WD; Double Cardan Joint; 2 Required
        {U Joint - Greaseable Super-Strength}

     PRECISION Part # 280
        Front Shaft at Front Axle, 4WD {U Joint - Greaseable Super-Strength}

    That's just a guess though, not being familiar with what
this particular vehicle needs; you will probably want to get
some confirmation from somebody more informed than I before
placing an order. It sounds to me from the above description
though that the same u-joints are used for the double cardan
joint at the transfer case and the single cardan at the front
axle. There is also a part number 380 for a little more money,
but it appears to be non-greasable, so I'm not sure why it costs
more.

   On a related note, you probably know this already, but for
anybody who does not, during the installation, figure out which
way your driveshaft turns while the vehicle is moving forward,
and install the u-joints such that the grease zerks will be
"compressed" by the force from the engine rather than "pulled apart".

--
                                          -Jon-