Not a Merry Christmas

From: Gabriel A. Couriel (gcouriel@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2006 - 18:38:03 EST

Well, on my way home from work on thursday, i was involved in an accident.
I was rear-ended by a cadillac fleetwood (1995), that decided to stop under
my rear bumper. The cop (former dak owner) gave the guy a ticket, and i was
able to drive off (he needed a tow, since the front-end of his car was
destroyed). My truck was later towed to a yard, because i was weary of the
seat, which had given way in the accident, and wasn't locking in place.

well, went to the yard today, and was told by the adjuster that the truck
will be marginal. the damage is extensive, considering the age/mileage of
the truck (9 years/86k miles). visibly, the rear bumper is destroyed. that
pushed into the driver's-side rear panel. however, the bitch of it is that
the bed pushed into the cab, which is what is causing the problems. i've
linked some pics on here, so everybody can see.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01474.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01472.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01471.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01468.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01467.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01466.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01465.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01464.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01463.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01462.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01461.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01460.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01459.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01458.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01457.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/fijigabe/DSC01456.jpg

I'm alright for the most part. my back and wrist hurt from being rear-ended
so hard (5000lbs fleetwood vs. 4000lbs dakota). when the cop saw the
accident, he told me he had a dakota that was in a similar accident, and he
knew that guy must have been going fast to cause that kind of damage.
however, i'm kinda down, considering what the adjuster told me. my wife and
i explained to him all the hard-work and effort i'd put into the truck, and
he said he'd try to work with us as much as possible to avoid it being
declared a total loss.

i should find out tomorrow.

Gabriel A. Couriel