Re: RE: Jeep Liberty

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 18:32:13 EST

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 23:39:32 -0500, Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com>
wrote:

> droo wrote:
>>

>> Diesel might be more efficient but it's also much dirtier. Until they
>> get the cleaner technologies into the cars, diesel isn't all that great
>> for the enviroment. It's also not so easy to come buy if you are more
>> than 1 mile from a major highway.
>
> I don't suupose you could define "dirty" for us? No hydrocarbon
> emissions since the fuel doesn't evaporate... increased power for the
> same amount burned, less refinement needed too.
>
> If I can burn a quart of diesel to go the same distance that it takes a
> half gallon of gasoline, how is the diesel "dirtier"?
>
> Just because you can occasionally see the exhaust doesn't make it worse.

Yes it does. Soot is what makes smoke visible and soot is very dirty
stuff. That applies to all fires. Thick black smoke coming from your fire
place means you aren't getting a complete burn and you are putting out
alot of particulate pollution. Diesel is getting cleaner but it is still
not as clean as gasoline. I poked around and found this link:
http://www.grinningplanet.com/2005/04-12/diesel-vs-gasoline-article.htm .
I havn't checked the source, so if it's some wacked out organization, then
I don't know about it. But it seems to fall in line with other links I saw
on the web and doesn't seem way slanted.

--
-droo

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8 4X4 Manual Transmission Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's Can-Back Soft Topper Rhinoliner Alpine CD Head Unit w/ XM Alpine 6 3/4" Speakers Sony 8" Subwoofer Q-Logic Custom Fit Enclosure