Re: Ebay Deal Going Bad? Never Had This Happen Before

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 19:46:29 EST

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 01:30:22 -0500, <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote:

> Olznut@aol.com wrote:
>
> : Ok, for some reason, I think this deal I completed on ebay on 1/31 is
> going
> : to go bad. I bought a pair of fender scoops for my '66 Olds 442 from
> a pretty
> : well known vendor in the Olds parts arena, and he has real good
> feedback
> : (99.3 positive with 700 items sold). Sent 3 emails with no reply.
> Called them
> : 2/7 and got a "we'll call you back", with no call back, called 2/9
> and got a
> : rather not so friendly guy that told me I can only deal with the
> person I
> : talked to. Called 2/12 and they admitted they messed up and promised
> parts by Fri
> : and obviously, I ain't got my parts still. Parts place is in Mo. Car
> is in
> : paint shop now waiting on these things, as other parts I've ordered
> from
> : around the country AFTER I've ordered the scoops have come in. I did
> pay with Pay
> : Pal, so how long should I wait until I make a move with them? These
> things
> : were not cheap ($250), so I'm a bit worried.
>

> I believe the complaint resolution process gives the seller
> a chance to respond or make it right, so instituting a complaint
> might get them off their butts. I definitely wouldn't let it
> go 30 days though. (Someone else suggested checking on ebay/
> paypal's web site for the deadlines; that would be a good idea.)
> You might want to just get in touch with the seller one more
> time and let them know you are going to institute the complaint
> process with ebay/paypal to give them one more chance to make it
> right and if that doesn't work, go ahead with it. Are there any
> Olds specific magazines? If so, dropping a hint that you are
> thinking about writing a letter to the editor to warn them about
> your situation might help to grease the wheels also.
>
> If you paid via credit card, if you don't get any satisfaction
> via the ebay/paypal complaint process, you may be able to institute
> a chargeback on your credit card. Wether this will work or not
> really depends on your credit card company. Some will do it and
> some won't. Technically it was paypal that charged your card and
> not the seller. However, in the one and only time I was scammed on
> e-bay, I did just that and Discover credited the money back to my
> account (about $70). At that point, its up to Paypal to get their
> money back from the fraudulent seller. In my case, I purchased a
> FSM on ebay which the guy never shipped.
>
> Just for future reference, you might want to look into opening
> up a Paypal Buyer Credit account. Its free as long as you pay
> your balance in full every month, and there are more protections
> built in for buyers than with the standard dispute policy. I
> [...]

I had a problem once with someone on ebay. After I dealt with the seller
and got no results, I complained to Ebay, Paypal, the Better Business
Bureau, and called my credit card company all at once. Actually. I called
my cc company and they told me to go through paypals process first, so I
went and did that. Paypal did get me my money back quickly so there wasn't
much problem there. The BBB report also helps a ton. I've used that before
with great results.

--
-droo

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8 4X4 Manual Transmission Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's Can-Back Soft Topper Rhinoliner Alpine CD Head Unit w/ XM Alpine 6 3/4" Speakers Sony 8" Subwoofer Q-Logic Custom Fit Enclosure