Re: replacement grill

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 11:09:33 EST

"Greg" <gsutinen@wi.rr.com> wrote:

: I thought of that figuring that the grill was already stressed to where it
: really wanted to be in relation to the mounting studs. Do you think I should
: bring the cracked edges back together or leave the 1/8" gap, V out the crack
: and apply epoxy filler on the front and add a piece of something to the
: backside and epoxy over it for support? Is there a specific brand of epoxy I
: should use and what would I reinforce it with? A metal strap of some sort?

     I'm not sure as I don't really have any experience in this area.
V-ing the front of the crack sounds like a good idea to me though just
to give something more for the bondo to fill and more surface area for
the epoxy; you want to try to lock both sides of the crack together as
securely as possible so that they don't move relative to each other.
Then again, if it is a very clean crack, perhaps v-ing the back of the
crack would be better so that you only need a skim coat of bondo on the
front? As far as what sort of reinforcing material to use, it would depend
on the exact location which needs reinforcement, but yeah, probably metal
straps or bars would work the best. Maybe some 1/8" thick by 1/4" or 1/2"
bars like you can get in the metal section of most hardware stores? They
should be fairly sturdy when installed but can be bent to shape easily.
I'm not going to be of much help on the epoxy either; if it were me I'd
probably just wander down the RTV aisle at Autozone and start reading
packages. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-