Repost: Transmission Trouble - '98 Auto

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 19:30:48 EST

With a little additional info and one talkative experienced list
member back in the fold, I thought I'd repost this problem that I
still haven't solved. Commentary intext below, any input appreciated.

On Dec 15, 2006, at 14:38, Michael Maskalans wrote:

> I've got no reverse (feels like 1st and R are fighting each other)
> and N
> gives me some forward momentum. D works perfect, trans shifts and
> drives
> right. Fluid was heinously low, thought that was the problem but
> after
> topping off the ATF4 fill with ATF4 nothing changed.

Also, P also has the forward clutches engaged: it does not rev freely
and only comes up to about 2300RPM, feels just the same as reverse.

> Truck has sat for a couple weeks. Maybe a month. Last thing it
> did was
> back down my driveway to its parking spot, so this problem cropped up
> while it sat.

Truck has now sat for about three months, hasn't fixed itself.

> I have a code set for governor pressure solenoid over voltage.

haven't rechecked for that code, idling for 15 minutes probably isn't
long enough to reset the code anyway.

> My only thought is to pull the valve body and see if something in
> there is
> plugged or broken. Linkage feels fine, P is park and D is drive,
> so it's
> at least mostly right...

still haven't had a chance to pull the valve body. Don't really want
to do it outside in the snow over grass... That's still my bet, or a
bad solenoid somewhere.