Re: Transfer Case

From: Dustin Williams (dustinewilliams@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2007 - 23:36:13 EDT

OK, the story of my transfer case is the transmission and xfer case
were rebuilt by some small local shop in Kelso, WA shortly before I
bought the truck last summer. The shop lost the front drive shaft,
didn't fix the leaky oil pan while they had the transmission off, and
both differentials, the oil pan, transmission, and transfer case have
leaked ever since. This winter it made a little noise under strain in
four wheel drive but I was never quite able to figure out why and I
took it to a shop and the mechanic had no idea either and said he had
a friend that had one that did the same thing. About a month and a
half ago it gushed out a significant amount of fluid all at once, I
checked out where it was coming from and it was from either the top or
side so I figured there would be enough in there to handle maintaining
2 wheel drive operation until I got time to change out one of the
gaskets. Then I was driving out to Lincoln, NE and I heard a little
bit of noise but I couldn't quite place it. A little while later my
buddy took over the driving and I could hear it a lot more clearly,
but it sounded like some vibrations or the like, I was hoping it was
the front drive shaft or maybe a u-joint, I definitely didn't want it
to be the transfer case. We stopped and I took a look didn't see
anything obvious (of course I wouldn't see anything inside) I tried
taking off the front drive shaft but I didn't have a long enough
wrench to get enough leverage. I took over the driving again and
limped it on in to Lincoln. The next morning I crawled underneath to
check it out again and do some trouble shooting and that was when I
saw a 1"x3" piece of the bottom of the xfer case hanging down. The
chain was also hanging through the hole. I took it into a shop to see
if I could get it patched up enough to drive home, but it was too far
gone. I have since felt around in there and it's pretty well toast.
I'm going to need more than just a few parts. My towing experience was
with a 22" Penske moving van.

That was really not a good week for me. I also found out I didn't get
a promotion I applied for solely because I'm too young, I traveled all
that way to see a girl and it didn't work out, and I broke a tooth. Oh
well, sometimes stuff just happens.

I knew that both the V-6 and V-8 used the NP 231, but I thought I
remembered reading something about a HD and regular version of that. I
don't particularly want to get something that won't fit and that I'll
just tear apart in a few months or next winter.

I'm in Berrien Springs. If you've got the parts to hook me up and can
give me a good deal I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Dustin