RE: Return or returnless (was: Can I put an '04 gas tank in a '95 truck?)

From: Jamie Calder (jcalder3@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2007 - 20:19:31 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of Jason Bleazard
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2007 7:15 PM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: DML: Return or returnless (was: Can I put an '04 gas tank in a '95
truck?)

Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:
> Some '95 models still had the return system on them - model/year
> depending (god I hate DC for that). Most of the '95 models were all
> returnless though.

OK, I managed to jack up the left side of the bed enough to check things out
and get some pictures. I don't think I have enough room to get the pump out
of there, though. I still think the bed needs to come clear off.

There are four things going to the top of the pump: 1. electrical, 2.
fuel supply, 3. filler vent and 4... I'm assuming that goes to the evap
canister? I didn't follow it all the way up, I can probably do that if
necessary. The picture is here (items I mentioned are right to left on the
picture):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36191423@N00/477469248/

So, assuming that last connection really is for the evap, that would mean
that this is a returnless setup.

I also tested the voltage right on the electrical connector. It definitely
gets 12V. It only gets turned on for a couple of seconds after I turn the
key on, but this matches what it says in the FSM. I still don't hear the
pump turning. A bit of buzzing, but it sounds more like a frozen electrical
motor.

I did the pump in my '96 a few months ago. I removed the rear bumper but left the main brackets bolted to the frame and the 2 side angled brackets left on the bumper, only 6 bolts for that. After the bed bolts were removed (and hoses, tail light wires, rear wheels etc.) I was able to easily scoot the bed back. Only needed to move a couple feet. I got a pic of it if your curious.

James