Re: 360 swap from an old R/T, advice needed.

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 11:54:23 EDT

msnbcnnbcbs@hotmail.com wrote:
> Guys,

> I've found a local shop that has a R/T they are trying to get rid off. It's a
> regular cab, 2001. They are advertising it for "parts or export only"

> I spoke with the guy, he tells me the ins. company will not issue a salvage
> title for the car (not sure why? how does this work?) so they are selling it
> for parts or to export to another country.

> How difficult would it be to do the entire swap into my 1999 3.9L Regular Cab
> V6 Auto? I figure its going to be:

> Engine
> Transmission
> front suspension
> computer
> harness
> rear differential
> rear springs
> misc, rims, etc.

> Im going to have a friend of mine assist me, hes done engine
> rebuilds/powerplant installs before and he will be doing most of the difficult
> work.

> He says the truck runs and drives fine.

> opinions? advice?

    Just thinking out loud here, but I'm wondering if it might not be
easiest to drop the cab and bed of your '99 down onto the R/T's frame?
This would not eliminate all of the potential issues that may arise,
but as long as the frame and suspension on the R/T are in good shape,
I think this would be a lot easier than swapping the components over
individually. I think you would be OK on this legally in that the VIN
is on the cab, so this would be no different than if you had gotten
into a wreck and used a replacement frame and installed new components
in the drivetrain. You just happen to be doing it all in one step.
:-)

    Another thing to possibly look into is seeing if you could act
basically like the manufacturer of the R/T, possibly re-VIN the
vehicle if the existing VIN cannot be re-used, and register it as a
homebuilt or kit car. The laws about registering these types of vehicles
vary widely from state to state, so you would need to research this
locally, but it might be an option for you. If the R/T is still in
good shape, it seems a shame to sacrifice one of the vehicles when you
could have two. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-