Re: My Dakota Status

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 11:21:08 EDT

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Michael Maskalans wrote:

> pulling both driveshafts
> pulling the transfer case
> dropping my front suspension links
> dropping my cossmember
> pulling the transmission
> removing the tail housing and output shaft from both transmissions
> putting my second TransGo kit into Chad's transmission
> putting the 4x4 output shaft & housing onto the new transmission
> and putting it all back together.

Well that's pretty much how it went. I had the pleasure of having the
bellhousing siezed to the block - the dowel pins came with the
transmission and I had to pound them out, and them pound them back into
the block.

Thanks, Tom, for your moral support - allowing me to keep my sanity while
looking for the bolt I had to have missed, even when there was not one
that I'd missed.

Getting the torque converter seated all the way was also a joy that cannot
be explained.

Whoever designed the inspection plate mounting/sandwiching was a sadist.
They are very happy if they know my pain :-)

The bracket difference between the 4x2 and 4x4 was not a big deal - though
I had to use a nut and bolt for the one hole that does line up, apparently
the 4x2 has a threaded boss in the bracket there where the 4x4 bellhousing
is threaded.

I'd forgotten how long it takes to put a TransGo kit in. One spare very
short screw leftover from the valve body. oops....

I kept the overdrive unit from my transmission in the output shaft
housing. I couldn't see a good way of dealing with the snap ring that
retains it through a hole that is smaller than the snap ring. I swapped
the clutch stack from the newer trans in, figuring half the milage is a
good thing, and flushed mine out by pouring some ATF through it while
spinning it. There was actually very little metal in my pan whis time
around so I think that it will be fine.

All in all, I think it took me a total af around 30 hours to do the whole
thing. Next time I pull the trans the engine is coming with it.
Those drivers side top bellhousing bots are a nightmare....

Test drove it this morning after my all nighter drive through to button
it up before work. Shifts perfecty, everything works, just a few nagging
things to take care of - leaking temp probe in the trans pan & its wire
is now too short to reach; missing dipstick bolt; exhaust off (again...);
install front driveshaft; t-case shifter screwed up.

Soon she'll really be back in running shape. I have front wheel bearings
and kingpin (like ball joint) rebuild kits on the way, and plans to get my
hydro assist up and running as well in the next couple weeks.

Then all I really want is gears & lockers....

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |