Re: torsion bar knock? ;was ball joints; now trusted mechanic blows it

From: jldenning@earthlink.net
Date: Thu May 24 2007 - 07:31:27 EDT

Well, got it figured out. After being told by my usual mech. that all 4 ball
joints need replacemet and the lower right was dangerous, and by another mech
that ball joints are fine but the (newish) inner tie rod ends were shot, turns
out my knocking was a crappy shock install .. by my ususal mech. .. I did
replace that right lower ball joint, and on examintaion it seems ok (no shake),
but I'm not experienced at that analysis.

I (usul mech.) installed Edelbrocks last October. Soon after, the lower bolt
on one of the front fell out. ... Now, after I got under the truck while my
petit wife shook the hell out of the thing I found both front shocks to be
loose at the bottom. One moved a lot, the other you could not see move but you
could feel the solid knocking sound if you put yor finger on the bottom of the
shock.

Usual mech. must have tossed the OEM bolts (hardened I presume, with a wide
raised shoulder to fit tightly into the shock eye) and used non spec bolts.
... One of these crap bolts snapped when he redid the install. I've ordered
the OEM and will replace ASAP.

We're driving it on that 800 mile trip.

Last thouhght. I've been going to the same mech for years and he's done me
good many times. But he blew the hell out of this one. Now I got to find
another or figure how to learn to trust him again. Should I give him a break
and acknowledge that you can't get it right every time?

Best to all and thanks for your thoughts.