Re: 94 5.9 into a '92 Dak

From: Mike Sykes (mikesykes@cox.net)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2007 - 20:10:31 EDT

>>Did the '92 have a V8?? If yes, then the computer that came
in it will work.. If it had some other engine, then I'm not sure,
but I'm pretty sure that the '92 had the V8 as an option, so I
would assume that you could just get the computer for the V8
and plug it in and go<<

**lurk mode: off**

The V8 swap from a 94' into a 92' will work nicely. All you need is the
motor mounts, radiator (maybe.. depends on which one you have), PCM and
wiring harness. a V6 PCM will not work with a v8. If the 5.9L is out of a
Van, you need to get a Dakota oil pan and pickup. in order to swap in the
5.9L and mate it to the 518, you'll need to get a different torque converter
since the 5.9L is externally balanced and the 3.9 is internally balanced.

As far as putting a magnum v8 in a premag, it's not hard. the hardest part
is finding the parts. You can use V8 motor mounts from any Dak V8, as well
as a Dakota oil pan and what-not. You have to use an electric fan set to be
a pusher on the front side of the radiator for clearance reasons. You also
have to get the whole engine harness from a Dak v8 and a PCM. As long as
your parts are all pre-96 you'll be fine. A 92+ guage cluster will be a good
idea also, since the 85mph speedo and lack of tach in the premags will
really suck when you've got a monster under the hood =-)

HTH

**returns to lurk mode**
00' R/T CC... a mod or two or 5 =)