Re: Re: 94 5.9 into a '92 Dak

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2007 - 01:35:13 EDT

Mike Sykes wrote:

>>>Did the '92 have a V8?? If yes, then the computer that came
>
> in it will work.. If it had some other engine, then I'm not sure,
> but I'm pretty sure that the '92 had the V8 as an option, so I
> would assume that you could just get the computer for the V8
> and plug it in and go<<
>
> **lurk mode: off**
>
> The V8 swap from a 94' into a 92' will work nicely. All you need is the
> motor mounts, radiator (maybe.. depends on which one you have), PCM and
> wiring harness. a V6 PCM will not work with a v8. If the 5.9L is out of a
> Van, you need to get a Dakota oil pan and pickup. in order to swap in the
> 5.9L and mate it to the 518, you'll need to get a different torque converter
> since the 5.9L is externally balanced and the 3.9 is internally balanced.
>
> As far as putting a magnum v8 in a premag, it's not hard. the hardest part
> is finding the parts.

Heh, ya don't say??

> You can use V8 motor mounts from any Dak V8,

Actually, you can't use Gen II V8 mounts, in the 4x4 version anyway. I
bought 95 motormounts to use with christine and found the V8 mounts are
wider and will not fit in the perches on the premag frames. It wouldn't
be TOO hard to fabricate custom mounts to use the V8 isolators... but I
just went and replaced my old ones with new V6 mounts. We'll see if I
end up tearing one apart.

> You have to use an electric fan set to be
> a pusher on the front side of the radiator for clearance reasons.

Option here is to relocate the radiator forward. A custom sized
radiator that is mounted forward would allow puller fan set up for more
efficent cooling. One of these days I'll do that I think.

> You also
> have to get the whole engine harness from a Dak v8 and a PCM.

Heh - I might disagree with you on that hehe... I have not been very
vocal with just how I have gone about with my engine swap project..
because its not finished yet and I'm still not willing to call it a
successful install because of the bugs. I have loose ends to tie up
before I'm willing to say "here is a template of how to swap this engine
into that truck"... but a write up will come soon.

The Zen philosopher Smasho once wrote:
"A truck with no dents, is not a 4x4...
and a 4x4 with no dents wasn't at a DML BBQ"
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine