Re: 4x4 transmission swap into 2wd?

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 23:01:02 EDT

Jon wrote:

> I might have the opportunity to pick up a 318 Magnum and a 46RH out
> of a grand cherokee to install into my '78 Dodge van. The only catch
> is that the donor vehicle is a 4x4 and obviously the van is 2wd. Can
> the transfer case be unbolted from the transmission and a driveshaft
> yoke installed? If that is possible, the only other thing that would
> seem to be a possible problem is connecting the cable driven
> speedometer to the late model trans - anybody have any experience in
> that area? I think the speed sensor on the 4x4 vehicles was in the
> transfer case, but I'm not even sure if it is used for the
> speedometer up until 1997 or so, maybe the earlier vehicles still had
> cable driven speedometers, and it may bolt up or be adaptable?
>
> Thanks!!

Hey Jon, yeah the tail section of the 46RH will unbolt and you can bolt
up a 2wd tailshaft with no problems. I tried this with christine a
while back and Maskalans did this with his Dakota but he was able to
make it work because of his solid axle swap (the front casting on the
bellhousing is a little different between 2wd and 4wd, with his set up
he didnt need to bolt up the support crossmember, because there is no
IFS differential to brace anymore) Mike bought Chad Evans 2wd
transmission (I bought Chads 318) - Might want to drop Mike a line and
see if he still has the rear tail section. It would work on the 46Rh
you have.

I dont know what difference the bell housing castings would make, for
the van. It may not make any difference at all.

As for the speedo, the difference between the wire speedos and the
cable, is just what screws into the tail shaft. I see no reason why you
couldnt run a cable drive... just put it in wherever the electric speedo
sensor goes. The sensor is still driven by the same drive that would
spin the cable.

The Zen philosopher Smasho once wrote:
"A truck with no dents, is not a 4x4...
and a 4x4 with no dents wasn't at a DML BBQ"
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine