Re: 4x4 transmission swap into 2wd?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 23:20:12 EDT

Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
>> I might have the opportunity to pick up a 318 Magnum and a 46RH out
>> of a grand cherokee to install into my '78 Dodge van. The only catch
>> is that the donor vehicle is a 4x4 and obviously the van is 2wd. Can
>> the transfer case be unbolted from the transmission and a driveshaft
>> yoke installed? If that is possible, the only other thing that would
>> seem to be a possible problem is connecting the cable driven
>> speedometer to the late model trans - anybody have any experience in
>> that area? I think the speed sensor on the 4x4 vehicles was in the
>> transfer case, but I'm not even sure if it is used for the
>> speedometer up until 1997 or so, maybe the earlier vehicles still had
>> cable driven speedometers, and it may bolt up or be adaptable?
>>
>> Thanks!!

> Hey Jon, yeah the tail section of the 46RH will unbolt and you can bolt
> up a 2wd tailshaft with no problems. I tried this with christine a
> while back and Maskalans did this with his Dakota but he was able to
> make it work because of his solid axle swap (the front casting on the
> bellhousing is a little different between 2wd and 4wd, with his set up
> he didnt need to bolt up the support crossmember, because there is no
> IFS differential to brace anymore) Mike bought Chad Evans 2wd
> transmission (I bought Chads 318) - Might want to drop Mike a line and
> see if he still has the rear tail section. It would work on the 46Rh
> you have.

   That's great news; thanks! I'll also definitely drop Mike a line
about that tailshaft if I end up getting this combo.

> I dont know what difference the bell housing castings would make, for
> the van. It may not make any difference at all.

   In this case it hopefully won't matter since I can get the engine
and trans out of the same vehicle in one shot, so I already know they
will bolt to each other, it will just be a matter of phyically fitting
them in the van, and there's going to be some fabrication involved
there either way.

> As for the speedo, the difference between the wire speedos and the
> cable, is just what screws into the tail shaft. I see no reason why you
> couldnt run a cable drive... just put it in wherever the electric speedo
> sensor goes. The sensor is still driven by the same drive that would
> spin the cable.

    That's good to know; thanks! Do you happen to know if the 4wd
transmissions and the 2wd transmissions both have that provision for
the speedometer cable/sensor? I seem to recall that the 4x4 trucks
got their speed signal from the transfer case.

   Thanks again, Tom!

--
                                          -Jon-