Ram still driving me insane...

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2007 - 00:28:27 EDT

ok... new developments...

I'll be lucky if I ever get outta debt... The Ford Exploder is costing
me a fortune... AC work $100, all new brakes $500, and now a blown rear
CV Axle - another $330 in parts - all since June.

So what do I do? I bought an Actron scan tool... the one that does
everything but only OBDII and you can buy the optional cables... so I
bought a chrysler OBDI cable as well, to use with Christine and whatever
OBDI Dodge's I may come across in the future. I reasoned it was a good
investment because I can use it on anything OBDII. And hell - if I end
up thinking I'll never use it again - theres always FleaBay, when I'm
done with it.

So... I've been trying to pinpoint the issue with the Ram. I whipped
out the Hypertech Power Programmer and reset everything to stock, even
the tire size adjustment. Didnt help - engine still shakes at idle,
still feels like its down on power and it still did its "I wanna stall
out" crap on me. Unfortunatly both times its started to stall - I did
not have the scan tool hooked up and recording sensor data!

I also tried a new MAP sensor and it didn't so anything. I ran the
engine at idle and at 2000 RPM and the map sensors both reported
virtually identical readings. The old factory MAP did however seem to
report ever so slightly higher manifold pressure readings. But I deemed
the differences so insignificant that it prolly wasn't the cause of my
drastic problems - however whos not to say that its an intermittant MAP
issue that comes and goes...

Yes... while its not anywhere near as expensive and as versitile as a
deal from Snapon... (I know that what I bought isnt as powerful a tool
as what a shop has) I also realize that I could have had a shop dig into
the problem and fix it for me for the cost of what I spent. I'm a
stubborn ass... I want to fix this bastard myself.

What I need now are some numbers to compare my data with... stuff like
such and such sensor should be reading X value under such and such
conditions...

Bernd? any insight?

"Are you employed Mr. Lebowski?"
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine