Re: OT: Network / Server

From: andy levy (andy-dak@levyclan.us)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2007 - 22:24:42 EDT

On 09/12/2007 20:44, Jamie Calder wrote:
> I realize there's a bunch of computer nuts here so this is where I'm
> starting my research.
>
> Right now we have 4 computers wirelessly networked, 2 for my wife business,
> my laptop and the kids computer.
>
> I would like get another one (or 2 depending how we go about this) and use
> one with Media Center in our living room on our HDTV. I'd also want a better
> backup solution, perhaps a raid setup. What's a good setup for our use?
>
> Have one server with raid with all our files on it (personal and business)
> networked with the Media Center computer, our office computers, and personal
> computers?

I've only skimmed the thread, I realize that the topic has been beaten
to death, and if I'm rehashing stuff, I apologize.

IMO, you want your media to stream over real wires, on at least 100MBit,
preferably GigE. A dedicated server computer is starting to look like
overkill to me, unless you really need to run server-type "services"
(web, FTP, BT, email, etc.) off it - network storage is where it's at.
Check this family of NAS devices:
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/terastation/ Pricey,
but very nice features.

> What is Windows Home Server? Is this a server that needs an operating
> system installed on it, an operating system in itself or just a computer
> that holds files (no OS)?

I haven't been keeping up with Windows Home Server, but last I knew it
wasn't planned to be a product you can just drive down to CompUSA and
pick up off the software shelves. They're intending to sell it as the OS
on a network server appliance, with the hardware built & sold by HP,
Dell, etc. You'll be able to plug in disks and rather than being
constrained by drive letters & having to manually set up shares, you'll
see a pool of storage space that you can carve up however you like. It
will also allow for automatic backups of Windows clients.

A couple links:
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/whs_preview.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx
http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/

--
-andy

http://home.rochester.rr.com/alevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------