RE: RE: Factory Engine, Run - In Procedure, Gasoline & Diesel

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2007 - 23:54:35 EDT

The engines of today are much higher quality (engineering and tolerances)
than those of old. Can you "romp" on them right off the showroom floor, yes
- but there still is some break-in. The biggest issue isn't with the
engines though, it's the towing/hauling. During the first 500 miles - NO
TOWING...the differential(s) need to break in first (along with brakes and
clutches).

BTW: The oil used in these engines isn't just based on EPA requirements,
it's primarily based on the internal engine tolerances. Bearings now are
down to .006" variance and oil selection is critical. If the cap states
5w20, that's what should be used. Thicker oil can cause premature wear or
failures with these tolerances.

- Bernd