Re: Ripped CV boot

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2007 - 18:53:06 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:

> Last oil change, the guy at the shop told me I had a ripped CV boot on the
> front axle of my '95, specifically on the right side. I had noticed quite a
> bit of grease, but thought it was just overflow from one of the zerks or
> something.
>
> He started telling me that they had to replace a whole bunch of stuff, because
> it had probably been contaminated by dirt, and started looking in his parts
> list. I told him I couldn't really afford it right now (which is true) and
> that I'd be back in a few weeks (which isn't true, but it ended the
> discussion).
>
> Assuming they're right about the boot, what all should I be replacing or
> checking?
>
> Thanks.

One CV shaft

And thats it

I'm curious? what did this jack-o say needed to be fixed? Spindle nuts
come with virtually all aftermarket CV axles, so thats not an issue.

CV axles are one of the easiest things to change. Don't even need to
pull the brakes or thw wheel. Undo the spindle nut, 6 bolts on the
inboard axle flange - shimmy it out - shimmy the new one in - bolt it
all up to torque specs and rock and roll.

50 seconds of pleasure, 50 years of regret...
Wookiee Love is pointless - Anarchy Steering Committee
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine