RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Weird Fuel Problem

From: Pindell, Tim P (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 09:51:46 EST

> What ever happened to the good old
> days when we used to put pure Iodine in the tanks - doesn't
> hurt anything but blows out pink smoke while they're driving
> - hehehhehe.
>
> - Bernd

HAH! Than reminds me of my high-school chemistry class! We made
nitrogen tri-iodide in stupid quantities. It's VERY unstable but not
really dangerous unless you don't like purple smoke or purple stains on
your clothes. A fly landing on it will set it off (much to the
consternation of the fly). The friction of putting it into a container
can set it off with a loud "SNAP". Whenever something fun like that
happened in class, the chemistry instructor, a retired professor from
the local community college, would yell "SCIENCE!". It was fun to
sprinkle (carefully) on chairs and floors and watch the results as
people walked or sat in it. It would go off with the impact of rain
drops, so a sprinkle of the stuff on the sidewalk would make tiny purple
explosions when it rained. Good 'ol days...