Deer hit!

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 12:05:03 EST

My truck was victimized by a 110lb buck last night. In all
seriousness, he ran into me.

So I had just left my house, was traveling down my road at 60mph (in a
25 zone... but you'll see speed actually helped me so don't go
preaching against my lead foot just yet!) He jumped out in front of me
so fast that I actually hit him at full speed. I only saw his head
before contact. After I hit him, my brakes worked nicely! (recall
brake job from hell.)

I got out of the truck, looked at the front end and found *very*
little damage for such a hard hit. My brush guard was slightly bent
but there was zero fender damage and just a hole cracked in the turn
signal assembly. Cool! Easily replaceable! But wait... there's more. I
close my door and look down the rest of the body. The rear quarter was
cruched! The deer hit ME! There's some body damage in front of the
wheel well too. Now, I didn't run him over... my wheels never left the
ground. Here's the slow motion play by play.

My brush guard hit him square in the face at 60mph, sending a piece of
antler bouncing off my windshield and landing 30 feet away. Any slower
and he would have had time to get more of his body in front ot me.
Hitting him in the head spun him around like a top. It was either that
leverage or his own momentum (or a combination of both) that sent his
rear end into my wheel well and rear quarter, causing most of my body
damage.

I called and waited for an officer to arrive. He promptly shot the
deer and gave me a deer kill note. I don't think I'll use it though...
I think my deductible will be more than the reimbursement.

I'll post pics when I get a chance this weekend.

Don in CT
89 Dak Vert 318 NV3500 4x4
74 Dart Sport 340