Re: RE: It's water pump time!

From: Dan Kramarsky (dkramarsky68@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 16:30:22 EST

James,

Why? Why mess with the timing chain at all? Is it causing any problems? You only have
186,400 miles on the truck. Unless the timing chain is a problem. I wouldn't touch it.

I just did my water pump in my '92 Dak 5.2L with A/C. And at the same time I put on the
March Performance under-drive pulley set #10515. To do this job I purchase the
following parts. But keep in mind the water pump I needed was the older kind that has no
pulley, just 4 threaded holes to where the pulley is bolted on. This is because the new
March water pump pulley needs to be bolted on. Note: These old-style water pumps can be
hard to find because the new-style pumps have the pulley pressed fit on. ( it wont come
off )

Parts Required:
---------------

Water Pump
A-1 CARDONE Part # 58447 {[Water Pump] Remanuf.}
Bolt on Pulley w/Threaded Heater Port Standard Pump $37.89

Water Pump Gasket
FEL-PRO Part # 35540 $1.24

Tensioner Pulley
GATES Part # 38016 {Belt Drive Pulley Thermoplastic V-Ribbed 7 Grooved (76mm x 17mm x
32mm)} $15.19

Idler Pulley
GATES Part # 38033 {Belt Drive Pulley Steel Smooth (90mm x 17mm x 33mm)} $19.67

Serpentine Belt
Gates Part #K060962 {Automotive V-Ribbed Belt (Standard) 6 Ribs 13/16" x 96 7/8"} $21.79

March Performance
MARCH Part #10515 {Pulley Set, Serpentine, Aluminum, Clear Powdercoated, set of 3 }
$199.50

Now, I got the Tensioner and the Idler pulleys because mine where fairly worn down. If
you havent replaced these in a while, I suggest you do it now.

And please keep in mind that the 6-rib is needed because the March pulley set is designed
for 6-rib. And yes, as you may have guessed, the power steering pulley, the A/C
pulley, and the tensioner pulley are all still 7 ribs right? So how do you install a
6-rib belt? Right? Well, if you leave the front-most tooth open on all those pulleys,
 the belt will line up just perfectly. No problems. I have had this ruhning for 4
months now in my 1992 Dak 5.2L and its flawless.

Have fun!

Dan K.

Vehicle: 1992 Dakota Club Cab LE Color: Two-tone silver Engine: 5.2L EFI
Mods: Home-brew CAI, March Performance pulley set, K&N Filters, 180* T-stat, relocated IAT, DynoMax Super Turbo Exhaust Kit, Hi-Flow Cat, Autolite plugs & wires, Gates hoses & belts.
Photo: http://static.flickr.com/42/84856795_c18903d10f.jpg
Whats Next: Mopar Performance PCM, 3.91 rear gear with LSD, electric fan, KYB shocks, re-paint body, 2/4 drop kit.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?