Re: Made in China

From: Steve Preston (steveophonic@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2008 - 12:41:08 EST

I agree to a point,but I have to disagree with you on
social conservatism. I don't think that government
should necessarily decide what's morally
acceptable,but the churches in this country are not
doing their job,and where we're at right now,some
entity or group of people has to make a stand. The
church is supposed to teach individuals how to
restrain themselves and not give in to every whim,and
they are also primarily responsible for feeding the
poor and hungry. Well,today's church on the Left is
more concerned about racial equality and installing
gays in prominent positions than preaching the
gospel,and the church on the Right is all about...well
several things not related to the gospel:
Self-fulfillment,building wealth,put the right guy in
office so sin goes away,etc. If they would just preach
the gospel,people would change from the inside and the
results most everyone wants would begin to occur from
people being "better",and making better decisions.
Things like corruption and greed are spiritual in
nature,and not unique to either party.

ANYWAY,about social conservatism. Basically,it's a
movement to try to slow or stop culural rot,which IS
happening. You can't look at all of the other
civilizations that have come (and fallen) before us
and not see parallels. Whether it's regarding trying
to stop "educators" from teaching kindergarteners
about anal sex,or trying to get the valid point across
that sucking the brains out of a baby while in the
birth canal is not what a civilized society
embraces,it's really hard to put forth the point that
social conservatism has no place in today's world,or
especially that it's dangerous. Again,unless you're
willing to overlook what has already happened to prior
cultures that went where modern liberalism wants to
take us,then you can't say that social conservatism is
evil or wrong. Is it government's job to keep it's
people moral? No! But now we're getting back to the
failings of much of modern Christianity. It creates a
void that is always filled with something. INDIRECTLY
social conservatism,comprised of a large number of
Christians,is going about trying to affect people and
society for good,not evil. But it is definitely not
doing it in the best way. It is like a doctor treating
the symptom and not the root cause of the
illness,which would be addressed by the Gospel.

Steve P.
--- Tom Byrne <kerib@ptd.net> wrote:

> I agree with him that there should have been
> spending cuts. I do not agree
> that the tax cuts were just for the rich. Unless you
> believe as some
> leftists do that everyone making $70k or more is
> rich. I believe he did not
> vote for the cuts for both reasons. One which I
> agree and one I do not.
>
> Romney is a walking contradiction and in some ways
> more liberal. Look as
> Mass. healthcare. Bush II is a religious guy, he is
> probably a principled
> guy. He is strong on national defense, but he a too
> much of a spender and a
> goldfish is a better communicator. You know what?
> Bush I said no new taxes
> then raised taxes (bad move). However, in 1992, I
> still supported him
> because I believe he was the best man for the job of
> those running.
>
> My real pick this year Giuliani. Giuliani is
> pro-choice. I am pro-life. I
> would still vote for him because I believed him to
> be the most capable.
> Anyone who votes based on one, even two issues, is
> missing the big picture
> and, to me, quite frightening.
>
> Who else wee we going to vote for this year, Fred
> Thompson? I like the guy
> and he is a great speaker, but he was clueless when
> interviewed. Who else,
> Ron Paul? How about Huckabee? Here we have another
> Bush. A social
> conservative and a fiscal liberal. the worst of both
> worlds. He is worse
> than a social conservative. He is a social zealot.

=== message truncated ===

Looking for last minute shopping deals?