Re: DUKESFEST 2008: Driving the Dak or a rental....what would you do??

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 12:41:07 EDT

> On 3/18/08, Digger <dodgedakotaquadcab@yahoo.com>
> wrote: (in part)
> >
> > To me,the only reason,besides the mpg issue,is the
> > fact that our Dakota (Blue Thunder),gets 20-22 mpg
> on
> > the I-system,and shes turned 126,000 miles...

 I agree with what some others have said. Only you can
make the call on any maintenance issues you are
concerned about. As far as fuel economy goes, well as
Jon pointed out, for the equation to be equal, you
have to figure in the cost of the rental to the
picture.

As far as taking a trip in a high mileage vehicle, my
Dak has 152,000 on the lock and I'd take it cross
country in the summer. Only 'cause my heater core is
bad and I have it by-passed so no heat. My fiancee has
her Cherokee with 180,000 on the clock and we drive it
all over northern California constantly. Chester and
back yesterday (100 miles round trip) Sacramento and
back next Tuesday (300 miles rt) Reno and back the
following Friday (200 miles rt) and Chester and back
again the following Tuesday. That's 700 miles in just
the next two weeks. And gas out here in my home town
in $3.60/gallon. The trips we have planned, we don't
have a choice, we gotta go. The Chester trips are part
of her job, Sacto trip is for one of the kids Dr.
appt, and Reno is for her to pick up her wedding
dress.

58 Days and counting!

Ray

PS Have fun on your trip. The last time we went to
Chico, I saw a perfect General Lee with CA plates. I
started drooling right then and there. I wish I had
your luck, to be able to drive one and in a parade no less!