RE: Tranny dipstick tube seal R&R

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2008 - 19:59:58 EDT

If you have access to compressed air, just blow around the dipstick before
removing it. If not, clean the area as best you can with either a rag or
small brush. Don't worry too much about it. The O-ring should bring
most of the dirt with it. Any that gets into the trans will be caught by
the filter.

Seems there is also a tall rubber seal available from trans part retailers
that fit in the dipstick hole and don't need the o-ring on the tube.
Either should be fine.

Tip ---- if you get a new o-ring (or the other seal), be sure to put a
little ATF or petroleum jelly on it/in it before installing it. Be careful
to not cut it during installation. Really pretty simple fix.

Ray