Re: 12oz r134a $4 at Big Lots - Now Carlisle

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 00:21:42 EDT

DodgeDe@cs.com wrote:

> Jon sorry you didn't have any luck at the track. Mary and I got a bit of a
> late start so by the time we got to the fair grounds and ck'd in food and the
> motel it was a bit late to the track so I'm sure it was me you passed. We had a
> great time just watching. They wouldn't let me park where I like so I had to
> drag the chairs from the back to the tree. There was some great racing and a
> guy trying to set the track record. His staging burnout was most of the 1/8 th
> all in all worth my $20.

   Thanks. :-) Eh, maybe next year. Though as I mentioned before,
if I try again next year I really should practice first. :-) I
wasn't particularly bummed out about it since I wasn't overly
optomistic about my chances in the first place, and I was happy to not
have broken anything. :-) I was pretty tired by that point though
and didn't really feel like hanging around so I decided to head out
for some food and the air conditioned hotel room. :-)

> Next year we are going to go up on Thurs. so we can spend more time at the
> track.

   Yep, I always head down on Thursday; its nice to be able to get up
in the morning and be right there in the area to head over first
thing. Plus, if you are able to get to the show field before about
4pm or so on Thursday, you can register for the fun field then and
avoid the Friday morning rush. You can also drive into the grounds on
Thursday, though obviously there isn't as much to see then as there is
on the other days.

> So many great Mopars and so little time.

   Yep, I didn't look at as many cars as I usually do, on Friday I
cruised through the buildings and also the car corral area. I don't
have the time or money for another project at the moment, but I like
to see what is being sold and get an idea of the prices. It is still
possible to get into a Mopar at a reasonable price, as long as you're
OK with one of the less popular models... I saw a couple of tempting
C bodies, and there was a pretty neat old 4x4 which was an ex fire
truck, converted into a rollback. A lot of stuff is definitely out of
sight though. Especially in the swap meet area, its actually somewhat
depressing, all these rusty parts laid out with crazy price tags, it
all looks like a crappy pile of junk laid out on a tarp to me, but I
guess somebody must be buying it! :-)

  Time trials started at the track at 3pm, so I headed out around
2:30, so that was pretty much it for Friday, then I looked at some of
the cars and made my rounds through the swap meet area on Sat. I
think next year I'll hit the swap meet on Friday instead, it was
pretty mobbed on Sat, and the vendor I was planning to get a couple of
engine stands from was sold out by the time I got there. (Guess I'll
have to weld some scrap metal together instead.)

> Maybe I'll run into you next year.

   Heh! Eventually we're bound to run into each other. :-) My Jeep
was parked way up on top of the hill, the first row after the trailer
parking area, over near the I-76 billboard, so I had to walk through
the Dak section to get to my vehicle. I kept an eye out for your Dak,
but didn't see it parked on the grounds for some reason, must be my
timing was off, or I was looking in the wrong section (is it just me,
or were the Daks and Rams scattered around kinda haphazardly this
year?)

  Between the heat, lack of sleep, crowds, overhearing people saying
stupid things all day, plus all the work that I knew was waiting for
me back at home, I got burned out kinda early this year and decided to
head back somewhat early; I headed out a little after 3 on Sat. The
drive itself is almost as fun as the show, the past few years I've
been taking the back roads directly across the mountains, and there
are some really neat areas and towns that I drive through on the way.
The biggest surprise was driving around a blind corner on the way home
and finding myself being stared down by a huge buffalo about 30 feet
away! It was behind a fence (along with a bunch of other buffalo),
but that was pretty neat - the sort of thing that you miss out on when
sticking to the boring interstates. :-) The Cherokee got 21mpg on
the way down and back in its stone stock configuration. I didn't
think that was too bad, all things considered, but I should probably
try to fab up an air intake or something and see if I can improve on
that.

   Ummm, thus ends my Carlisle report. ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-