Re: Front diff fun... Dakvert drives again

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2008 - 22:12:39 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:
>

>>Rams had CAD (central axle disconnects at least up to 2002 (01 1/2ton,
>>02 3/4 and 1 tons) I dont know if the current Rams - (of any class)
>>have disconnects still...
>

> Would a problem with the CAD cause the vehicle to briefly slip out
> of 4wd accompanied by a banging noise?

Oh yeah...

   I still need to figure out why
> my Ram is doing that. :-P Whenever the front axle is engaged, 4hi or
> 4lo, it makes a banging/snapping noise as the 4wd indicator light
> blinks off then right back on again.

CLASSIC SYMPTOM

  The greater the load on the
> drivetrain, the louder the noise.

Yup! Had that problem with Christine the first year I tried my hand at
snow plowing. Thats how I (initially) screw up the drivers side door.
I couldnt get traction because the front end wasnt engaging - and I
stomped on the gas to push a pile of snow in a narrow parking lot access
alley... and slid into a phone pole. Knocked out the glass in the mirror
and put a dent in the door.

If I'm driving, it'll constantly do
> it - snap, snap, snap... Not at regular intervals, but I dunno, maybe
> somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 seconds between them.
>
> I haven't even bothered to look into it yet, I'm hoping it will be
> something simple like a rotted vacuum line or something on the CAD.
> It did that a few years ago, back when it was still under warranty so
> I took it to the dealer. IIRC, they ended up replacing some vacuum
> lines and also replaced some bearings. I don't know if the bearings
> were related or just something they saw when they were in there. Not
> too long after they fixed it, it started doing it again.

There ya have it - thats something I can offer to fix for ya at BBQ time ;)

TerribleTom! New and improved for 2008! Twice As TERRIBLE!
Twice as INSANE! Now with Kung Foo Grip! *batteries not included*
The Mopar Enthusiasts Crunch Team http://tinyurl.com/32g3qj