Re: Front diff fun... Dakvert drives again

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Jul 19 2008 - 16:30:30 EDT

Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>>
>> Would a problem with the CAD cause the vehicle to briefly slip out
>> of 4wd accompanied by a banging noise?

> Oh yeah...
[...]
> CLASSIC SYMPTOM

   Thanks, Tom! Hopefully that is all it is.

>> I haven't even bothered to look into it yet, I'm hoping it will be
>> something simple like a rotted vacuum line or something on the CAD.
>> It did that a few years ago, back when it was still under warranty so
>> I took it to the dealer. IIRC, they ended up replacing some vacuum
>> lines and also replaced some bearings. I don't know if the bearings
>> were related or just something they saw when they were in there. Not
>> too long after they fixed it, it started doing it again.
>>

> There ya have it - thats something I can offer to fix for ya at BBQ time ;)

   Heh! Its funny you should mention that. I was planning to reply
to your message way back when where you offered to do maintenance type
things that needed to be done; I was going to reply with an exhaustive
list of all of the stuff I need to do - ha ha ha. Unfortunately, I
just never had the time to even create the list! I mentioned this
problem to Jason, and he suggested that perhaps the first item you
could do was to create the list of things for you to do. ;-) So,
yeah, if you could go ahead and do that, that'd be great, mkay? :-)

   Lesse, just off the top of my head (and this means I am missing
lots of stuff), not including projects which have yet to be started
like the coronet, Bob's van & moped...

   '47 Willys
       - Engine does not want to idle and stay running
       - various fluid leaks

   '70 Dart
       - Still in winter storage
       - Electrical short somewhere
       - Trans needs a band adjustment I think
       - Carb needs rebuilding, then tuning
       - Bungs need welding into the exhaust for my wideband O2 tuner

   '70 Barracuda
       - Still in winter storage
       - Needs finishing
       - Trans leak

   '90 Dak
       - Has an oil leak on engine, valve cover maybe

   '92 Ram
       - Trans cooler line busted, needs replacing
       - CAD/4x4 slipping problem

   '96 Dak
       - Paint problem on roof
       - Rust spot to address

   '96 FireFly (ultralight)
       - Still in winter storage, and unfortunately I am thinking about
         leaving it there this year since my free time is not looking
         good. :-( Only flew it twice last year and once or twice
         the year before, which sucks.

   '96 Intruder (motorcycle)
       - Still in winter storage. Sure could use the 40mpg this one provides!

   '99 Cherokee
       - Has a rust spot I should address before it gets too much worse

   '01 Ram
       - Needs new tires

    ALL of the above are in need of safety/emissions inspections since
they are all expired, also most of the above are in need of various
fluid changes such as oil, trans, etc.

     Anyway, like I said, that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure
I missed a bunch. Plus there is the various farm machinery,
lawnmowers, etc. which need servicing, general yardwork and
maintenance, a house that isn't remodeling itself, building a proper
office and data center in the shop, work (full time job 1), work
(full/part time job 2), work (part time job 3), work (part time job
4), there is a lot more, but I'm going to stop thinking about it now
before I slip blissfully into insanity. ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-