Re: Now: Jon's Gun Range

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2008 - 15:00:15 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> It goes into the woods about another 100' or so I think. The only
> problem with shooting up near the barn is I don't like to do it just
> to try and keep noise down for the neighbors. I've got a dinky range
> set up down at Ranger gulch, but its pretty short, maybe 50 yards at
> best. Certainly adequate for informal handgun plinking, but I haven't
> gotten into any longer range stuff yet. (Heck, I can't hit the close
> stuff.) ;-) A nice thing about that location is that it is located
> in a gulley so you've basically got 10 to 20 foot berms all the way
> around.
>
> I've been wanting to set up something better, maybe deeper in the
> woods, but haven't had the time to look into it any further.
>
> Another possibility may be to go down to the area where the mud pit
> is, and shoot from east to west, from the tree line to the right of
> the runway, across the runway, and into the field where the mud pit
> is. There's actually a small berm at the end of the mud pit which may
> or may not be useful. That would probably be 125 yards, with a max of
> 150 yards. This would also mean we're shooting into our own
> property, with 500+ yards of woods and a ravine between the backstop
> and the next property.
>
> If you're looking at the google map, you can see the clearing for
> the airstrip, then to the right (east) is a patch of woods, then there
> is a large, rectangular parcel which is open, we own that too, along
> with the woods to the north, all the way to the ravine. If you were
> walking in from the road, at about 1/4 of the way in, there is a large
> elevation drop. Depending on where someone was to set up there, 400
> yards may be possible.
>
> If you're interested, for any of these locations, or any other area
> that might be promising, I can grab the GPS and take some
> measurements, snap some photos, etc., just let me know.

"Range Design" is one of those subjects that has been covered in some of
my Range Officer Classes, but I never thought I would be able to use.

If you are standing on the concrete pad and look out over the vineyard,
[directly south of Lake Tom, next to the trees] how far to the opposite
corner and what is back there?