Re: 2 questions about heater/radiator

From: SilverEightynine@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 03 2009 - 18:18:12 EST

In article <1AB7947E12444DFA927387EA367B97B7@CAQSworkstation>,
metalshop@optonline.net (Tom Coulter) writes:

> This is for the '97 Dakota Sport 2WD
>
> Heater:
> Does anybody know for a fact whether the control knob/key position actuates
> a solenoid valve, etc. to allow hot water to flow/not flow thru the heater
> core? Something inside me says there should be such a control. Otherwise,
> when driving thru Death Valley in August, even though the AC is turned on,
> hot water is circulating under the dash board! On the other hand, when I
> recently isolated and flushed said heater core, I could find no such
> position of control knob/ key position that seemed to prevent water from
> circulating thru the core. In other words, once I got it flushed out, water
> flowed through it no matter what the position of any knob/switches (and
> whether the ignition key was on or removed).
>
> Radiator:
> Along with my heater core clogging, it turned out that the radiator drain
> valve was also clogged - so much that nary a drop would drain out when
> "opened". When I looked at the valve, the "rib" on the plastic knob was
> vertical. It would only turn counterclockwise 1/4 of a turn, where it
> seemed to hit a stop. I presume this horizontal position of the rib is the
> open position. Does anybody know of a physical trick that can be done to
> clear out the drain valve? I tried fishing a small wire up in the valve
> opening (it's hard to get to), but no luck.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Tom

As far as I know the Dakota has never used a heater control valve. I checked
the parts listings at work and I wasn't able to find a heater valve for tghe
Gen III Daks. I know the Gen I and II's never used them - wasn't sure on the
gen III. If you want to block the coolant from getting to the heater core...
you can install a manual shut off valve.