Re: speed fastener brands

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Feb 08 2009 - 16:36:45 EST

David Margrave <david.margrave@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> It occurred to me that maybe it would be a good idea to replace the
> non-reusable push-in fasteners that take effort to yank out, with some
> sort of speed fastener that is reusable and very easy to install and
> remove. It would make oil changes a bit easier.

> I've seen them but I can't recall the brands or what keywords
> to search for. Any tips?

  You may be thinking of Dzus fasteners? (Pronounced "zeus", IIRC)
Another option would be a "clip-on nut", which would clip onto the
panel and you'd use a thumb screw or a regular machine screw to fasten
the shield to the panel. (Search for "speed nuts" at www.mcmaster.com
for some ideas of the various styles available; mcmaster doesn't carry
Dzus fasterners, though a Google search will turn up plenty.)

--
                                          -Jon-