Re: DML BBQ Geocaching (was: 2009 DML BBQ - Aug 14-16?)

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2009 - 20:33:33 EST

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 14:35, <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote:

> Andy Levy <andy.levy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 19:04, Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Sure - I'm in for Geocaching!
>
>> I'm figuring on stopping at every rest area on I-90 each direction on
>> top of whatever might be near BBQ HQ.
>

> I would be up for some Geocaching myself, though we'd have to
> figure out how this would work... I was actually talking to Tom not
> too long ago about hitting some caches with him during the BBQ time.
> Probably the ideal thing would be to do it sometime before or after
> the "official" BBQ time, perhaps Thursday or Sunday afternoon, but
> that would require more time off work for attendees and probably
> wouldn't work for you if you are just planning a day trip, so the
> ideal may not be possible.
>
> If it is during the official BBQ time, then how would that work -
> would a bunch of us just head off and anyone else who prefers to hit
> the trails or just hang out would stay behind? I don't really like
> the idea of splitting up like that for various reasons, but it might
> not be able to be helped... Another aspect to this is often you need
> to park and hike in a bit to a cache, and depending on how many caches
> you want to hit, the entire day can easily be taken up by searching
> for just a few caches. That'd be no problem if everybody was
> interested in coming along, but I think it'd be a bit weird for a
> big group to head out for most of the day and leave a few folks just
> sitting around twiddling their thumbs...
>
> One possibility might be to focus on the trails and offroading on
> Friday, then make Saturday a more relaxed day where we can do some
> Geocaching. It would probably be more natural to have Friday be the
> geocaching day and Sat would be more traditional DML BBQ, though that
> obviously doesn't work too well if you are only coming out on Sat.
> (any chance you might camp over and make it a 2 day event?) :-)
> Since we don't seem to hit the trails very early usually, another
> option might be for you to head down Friday afternoon, stay overnight,
> and the geocachers can wake up early and head out for the morning, get
> back in time for lunch and join up with everybody else in the
> afternoon to head out on the trails. If we headed out at 6am or so,
> we could get in 5-6 hours worth of caching before lunch.
>
> Anyhoo, those are just some thoughts I had. I know that we have
> quite often tried to do other activities at the BBQ (paintball,
> shooting, head out to car show, etc.) but this stuff so rarely seems
> to get done - or if it is done, we seem to have trouble fitting it in
> time-wise and its only a shadow of what it could be.
>
> There are a bunch of caches in this area (70 within a 10 mile
> radius of 14062), but I've only had the time to visit a few so far, so
> I'd definitely be up for some caching.
>
> Another option is I could hide a bunch of caches right at DML HQ,
> [...]

I wasn't trying to turn the BBQ into a cache-fest, honest! Don't go
changing the BBQ around because I threw an idea out there. It's not
like I suggested a diving competition or a midnight swim meet :)

Really, I was just thinking about a few quick grabs, plus whatever I
can do on the Thruway (a lot of the rest areas have a micro or two -
Angola has FOUR).