DML BBQ Geocaching (was: 2009 DML BBQ - Aug 14-16?)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Feb 06 2009 - 14:35:26 EST

Andy Levy <andy.levy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 19:04, Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Sure - I'm in for Geocaching!

> I'm figuring on stopping at every rest area on I-90 each direction on
> top of whatever might be near BBQ HQ.

    I would be up for some Geocaching myself, though we'd have to
figure out how this would work... I was actually talking to Tom not
too long ago about hitting some caches with him during the BBQ time.
Probably the ideal thing would be to do it sometime before or after
the "official" BBQ time, perhaps Thursday or Sunday afternoon, but
that would require more time off work for attendees and probably
wouldn't work for you if you are just planning a day trip, so the
ideal may not be possible.

    If it is during the official BBQ time, then how would that work -
would a bunch of us just head off and anyone else who prefers to hit
the trails or just hang out would stay behind? I don't really like
the idea of splitting up like that for various reasons, but it might
not be able to be helped... Another aspect to this is often you need
to park and hike in a bit to a cache, and depending on how many caches
you want to hit, the entire day can easily be taken up by searching
for just a few caches. That'd be no problem if everybody was
interested in coming along, but I think it'd be a bit weird for a
big group to head out for most of the day and leave a few folks just
sitting around twiddling their thumbs...

    One possibility might be to focus on the trails and offroading on
Friday, then make Saturday a more relaxed day where we can do some
Geocaching. It would probably be more natural to have Friday be the
geocaching day and Sat would be more traditional DML BBQ, though that
obviously doesn't work too well if you are only coming out on Sat.
(any chance you might camp over and make it a 2 day event?) :-)
Since we don't seem to hit the trails very early usually, another
option might be for you to head down Friday afternoon, stay overnight,
and the geocachers can wake up early and head out for the morning, get
back in time for lunch and join up with everybody else in the
afternoon to head out on the trails. If we headed out at 6am or so,
we could get in 5-6 hours worth of caching before lunch.

    Anyhoo, those are just some thoughts I had. I know that we have
quite often tried to do other activities at the BBQ (paintball,
shooting, head out to car show, etc.) but this stuff so rarely seems
to get done - or if it is done, we seem to have trouble fitting it in
time-wise and its only a shadow of what it could be.

    There are a bunch of caches in this area (70 within a 10 mile
radius of 14062), but I've only had the time to visit a few so far, so
I'd definitely be up for some caching.

    Another option is I could hide a bunch of caches right at DML HQ,
though of course they'd be unofficial so would not count towards your
total, if you are the "stats junkie" type. :-)

    Any thoughts about any of the above, especially from folks who are
interested in attending the BBQ would be appreciated!

--
                                          -Jon-