Re: OT: Generator/Wiring

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2009 - 02:04:11 EST

You are not dealing with the limitation of the generator, it's the
limitation of the receptacles themselves. 20A is the most you can
safely draw out of a standard 3 prong receptacle. To go even 30A
requires alot heavier duty plug. You might get away with plugging one
of those output expanders if you had alot of small loads, but once you
exceed 20A out of that receptacle, you are in the range of melting
things. If you MUST pull close to the rated load out of that Genny,
make yourself a 240V extension cord with half of the taps on one circuit
and half on the other [email me directly if you have Q's about this].
However, it might almost be worth it to sell that Genny and put the
proceeds toward a bigger generator....