Re: Cloggged heater core - ThroFlush to the rescue?

From: Tom Coulter (metalshop@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2009 - 16:10:57 EST

This is in reply to Jon & David Gersic:

Sorry for this late reply - I didn't see your posts until today.

Jon wrote:
"I have not heard of it, but I do have a question - if the heater core is
isolated by cutting/disconnecting the hoses, how can the water pump cycle
the solution? Or, do you not use the water pump and
instead use an external pump of some type?"

Bingo, Jon! I used a circulating pump for an evaporative house cooler (only
available in the southwest US) - I wish I could attach photos. In this way,
I used a mini basin (sump) sitting on the grill and first forced hot water
back thru the core. At first, the flow was - as you might imagine - quite
low. I eventually resorted to placing my compressed air hose nozzle on the
outlet tube and forced liquid out the other end. Within a few seconds, the
"sludge" broke loose and I got pretty much full flow. I bought a pint of
Thro-Flush and mixed up a small batch of solution and ran that thru the core
for 15 minutes, then flushed w/ clean hot water. I then bypassed the core
and flushed the entire cooling system. When I put it back together, I'm
pleased to say that the heater now works great! It was "off-line" for about
5 years because I simply dreaded the thought of removing the core from under
the dash - naively thought that was my only option.

As for Gersic, your comment:
"If the heater core is plugged, how do you get Miracle Liquid #9 here to
circulate through it? If liquids were able to pass through it, you wouldn't
be looking at this product."

tells me you don't have much imagination - certainly not as much as Jon.
The rest of your critical dribble - right down to the quip about
"Made'Off" - was needlessly negative and condescending.