Practical problem w/ coolant drain plugs in the '97 Dakota engine block

From: Tom Coulter (metalshop@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2009 - 16:47:55 EST

No question is posed here.
This post is really informational only, and relates to those wanting to do
an effective "High Pressure" coolant flush on their Dakota. Mine is a '97
V6/3.9L/2WD.

For draining the radiator, some have suggested removing the 1 1/2" suction
hose at the bottom of the radiator. The immense hassle involved
notwithstanding, this IS the best way to flush the radiator. Next best way
might be to remove the drain cock. But "How to?" is a bit of a mystery, and
everybody has a different answer. The answer is to grasp the tang (vertical
when valve closed) on the plastic knob - using, say, micro channel-locks,
and turn it 1/4 turn counterclockwise. Then apply a turning motion, rocking
it out of the port to open the valve.

There are 2 drain plugs (9/16" hex heads) - one on each side of the block.
The one on the driver's side is rather obvious - it sits just behind the
water pump and is easy to get to. The other one was troublesome to find.
After searching a while, I decided to presume 'symmetry' to help me find it.
With this in mind, the good news is that the plugs are symmetrical and the
passenger-side plug also sits just behind the water pump.

THAT'S WHERE THE GOOD NEWS ENDS!.

To my complete dismay, 3/16" above the head of the passenger-side plug sits
a large bracket for the right-side engine mount! The interference this
creates requires that the engine mount be removed before this plug can be
removed. (Of course, no one in their right mind would do that.) I was so
astounded by this that I actually took close-up digital pictures to convince
any disbelievers. Unfortunately, this otherwise great posting template does
not accommodate uploading of pictures, so you'll have to take my word for
it. Bottom line: for all practical purposes, only one of the 2 drain plugs
in the engine block (driver's side only) can be removed for a good coolant
flush.

I'd be curious to see what the Service Manual (don't have one) says on this
topic. Something tells me that when you get to the part that addresses
these drainplugs, it says (SEE Engine Removal).

Pardon my cynicism. Whenever I see something like this, I get
philosophical. I start thinking things like: the Dodge engine designers
and the chassis designers work in 2 different (and widely separated)
buildings, never talk to each other and never know each other. It also
confirms a thought I've had for many years: the aforementioned highly-paid
mechanical engineers never actually do maintenance on the vehicles
themselves.