Re: Re: Re: Leaking power steering fluid

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 00:27:03 EDT

On Sunday 17 May 2009 13:29:32 Tom Coulter wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, David. Having just replaced the pressurized line, I
> must now say that I see no wires anywhere in the vicinity of the p/s pump.
> I therefore wonder why I read about a p/s "pressure switch". Seems logical
> that there would be one, but I see no wires.

Sorry, I don't know the '97. If it has a pressure switch somewhere, it
wouldn't have to be on the pump itself. It could be on the lines or down on
the steering rack somewhere. If you have the '97 factory service manual, that
should tell you where to find it, if it has one. If you don't have the FSM,
you should get one, 'cause you're going to need it if you're planning to do
your own work on the truck.

> So here's a dumb question: Where pray tell are the O2 sensors?

They'll have to be in the exhaust pipes. You could have one, two, or four.
Again, I don't know the '97, but my '01 has four of them. Some of the other
followups say you probably have two, located before and after the catalytic
converter. Look for something screwed in to a bung in the exhaust pipe with
wires coming out of it.

Remove and replace on O2 sensors ranges from simple to pain-in-the-butt.
You'll need to get a wrench on it, which might be easy or might be difficult.
They sell O2 sensor sockets, but I found that a big box end wrench worked fine
for mine. Depending on where yours are located, you may have to be creative in
getting a wrench there, but that's pretty much true for any garage work.

Then you'll have to follow the wiring harness from the sensor to wherever the
wiring connector is. Release the connector, and unplug it. Again, this ranges
from easy to pain-in-the-butt, depending on where they've put the connector,
and whether you can get your hands on it. On my '01, two were pretty easy, one
was a hassle (on top of the transmission), and one was damn-near impossible to
actually get a hand on (lower firewall) due to the front axle and suspension
being in the way. If you have exceptionally small hands and are double or
triple jointed, you'll have an easier time of it.

Brian has already warned you not to buy Bosche sensors. I'll heartily second
that recommendation. I did, and had a hell of a time with them, eventually
sending them back for a refund. I then bought the OEM sensors at the local
dealer. They cost more than the Bosche ones, but they actually work, so it's
money well spent. I haven't tried the Walker sensors, they may also be ok. But
whatever you do, do not buy the Bosche ones. And do buy the OEM connector
type, so all you have to do is plug them in. The cut-and-splice universal fit
ones are a lot more hassle to install.

> Meanwhile, I'll check the fuses (presumably in the Power Control Module).

You probably have a fuse block under the hood. That's where I'd look for O2
sensor fuses. There should be a location map with it to tell you which one(s)
to check.