Re: ball joint service kit?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Jul 28 2009 - 11:30:09 EDT

On Jul 28, 2009, at 00:22 , jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> I do have that kit (p/n 38335), so if you need any measurements of the
> components of anything, just let me know and I'd be happy to provide
> them. I haven't actually had an opportunity to use mine yet (saw it
> at a really good price when they were on sale and couldn't resist) so
> I can't give a firsthand report, but it looks like a pretty beefy kit
> to me.
>
> Yes, it is made in China. No surprise there.

Looks beefy but bends :)

There are three of them in my 4x4 club, they're awesome for trail
repairs on ujoints. The C is bent on mine, the threaded rod is bent
on Keith's, and Ryan actually broke the C on his.

I'd like to straighten mine or get a new one, and box in the sides of
the C with some 1/8" or 3/16" cold rolled plate. I think that would
make it live well and still be cheaper than most other options out
there.

Mike
Dakota abuse is my hobby
recent pic: <http://tinyurl.com/nnex45>