99 Dak options

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Sep 20 2009 - 03:03:26 EDT

Ok, as many know I have a 99 SLT 4x4 with a 5.2 that currently is in
excess of 140k. My truck has devolved to about 10-14 MPG and I am
noticing a reduction in power, especially towing. Under acceleration I
get a persistent "tsstt, tsstt" noise, that I thought was an exhaust
leak but the muffler guy assures me there is nothing to fix...

I am also getting close to the second round of suspension repairs
[already did them once], you know, ball joints, shocks, bushings, prolly
at least one U joint, the whole mess. I also need to do something about
my brakes, but I am at a loss for what, they don't stop me worth a crap.

So, I have been guiltily thinking of different options.

#1 keep the Dak and fix what is required
It's been paid for for years and I have it mostly the way I like it.
The repairs are a pain, but cheaper than a new truck. The catch is, if
the motor goes, my selection of 5.2L replacements is getting thinner by
the day, and the cost of a crate motor could easily exceed a replacement
used truck.

#2 Trade it up on a 09+ new Dak.
The newest body style isn't as hideous as the previous, but I would be
starting from scratch with the modifications I require [brush guard, tow
hooks, spotlight, sprayed bed liner, roll top, etc.] Having to put
$2-3K into a $35K truck seems excessive on top of the payment...

#3 Trade it up on a 09+ something bigger
Given how much towing/hauling I have been doing of late, a larger
vehicle might not be a bad option but $55k is ALOT of scratch for a new
truck that doesent even qualify for the lifetime powertrain warranty -
not to mention that won't fit in my parking garage...

Note #2 and 3 both will require me to trade in my 03 AMG C32
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff153/barrysuperhawk/Benz/?action=view¤t=IMG_1756.jpg
because I am not about to have 2 car payments...

So, do I do nothing and wait for my truck to go poof or do I go shopping...