RE: 99 Dak options

From: Brian (hskr@cox.net)
Date: Sun Sep 20 2009 - 10:44:30 EDT

Have you replaced the plenum gasket on your intake manifold?? Extremely
good chance that it is leaking causing the motor to burn oil leading to
power loss and slight detonation(you might not hear it) Also, I'm sure you
keep up on maintenance, but cap/rotor/plus/wires could all probably stand to
be replaced. Also, if your plenum gasket is leaking(probably is) then when
you go to fix it, I'd recommend running some Seafoam through the motor to
clean out the combustion chambers. Do this right before fixing the plenum
gasket and definitely before replacing the spark plugs. And I don't mean
dump it in the gas tank. Put it through the intake manifold. Use a vacuum
port to suck it out of the can. Also, if you've never replaced them, time
to replace the O2 sensors. "Normal" recommended interval is around 60-80K
miles replacement. Just because you aren't getting check engine lights for
them doesn't mean they are degraded and providing false readings.

As for brakes, new calipers/rotors/pads, flush the brake fluid and get new
stuff in there. Check your rear shoes and drums and manually adjust them.
The auto adjusters on the rear drums suck balls and don't work properly. I
recommend the EBC Sport rotors. They are by far the best rotors I have used
on my truck, and I'm not even running the recommended pads with them. They
blow the Powersluts out of the water for performance.

Have you ever had your tranny and transfer case fluids changed? If not,
definitely get that done as well. Make sure to use ATF+4 for the refill in
each.

I think financially speaking, you'd be better off doing the maintenance on
your current Dak and continuing to drive it rather than buying anything new.
The 5.2 will last you a long time if properly maintained.

brian cropp