Re: RE: 99 Dak options

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Sep 20 2009 - 16:38:18 EDT

Brian wrote:
> Have you replaced the plenum gasket <snip> cap/rotor/plus/wires <snip> O2 sensors.

Plenum at 70k, cap, rotor, wires, plugs at 90K, O2, new CAT at 120K... I
thought I had them put the better plenum gasket in, but I don't remember
now.

> As for brakes, new calipers/rotors/pads, flush the brake fluid and get new
> stuff in there. Check your rear shoes and drums and manually adjust them.
> The auto adjusters on the rear drums suck balls and don't work properly. I
> recommend the EBC Sport rotors. They are by far the best rotors I have used
> on my truck, and I'm not even running the recommended pads with them. They
> blow the Powersluts out of the water for performance.

Running slotted/dimpled rotors [bought them from socaldakota but I don't
remember what brand] and Ceramic pads. I should have excellent brakes,
but apparently this combo doesent like each other...

> Have you ever had your tranny and transfer case fluids changed? If not,
> definitely get that done as well. Make sure to use ATF+4 for the refill in
> each.

done 500 miles ago...

> I think financially speaking, you'd be better off doing the maintenance on
> your current Dak and continuing to drive it rather than buying anything new.
> The 5.2 will last you a long time if properly maintained.

That is my fervent hope.... but if the motor goes, then I am toast...