Re: Opinions: To Shift into

From: teseract@moparhowto.com
Date: Sun Nov 15 2009 - 21:18:26 EST

In article <200911151940.49658.info@zaccaria-pinball.com>,
info@zaccaria-pinball.com (David Gersic) writes:

> A tip I picked up last winter if you find yourself stuck on the ice where
> neither rear wheel wants to grip (so the suregrip won't engage) is to use the
> brakes lightly to get the clutches in the rear diff to lock up.

Good tip! That's the kind of information I was looking for. :)

> > That's why I'd figure I'd be in
> > 4wd a lot as I mostly drive at city speeds and my area isn't known for
> > it's excellent plow or deicing service.
>
> City speeds are what, 30mph or lower? 4wd may help there, especially if
you're
> doing a lot of start-and-stop driving.

My commute is a 2.5 mile drive on 25-30mph speed limit roads to and from work
through the downtown of a city. There's 11 stoplights (yes I've counted) in
that 2.5 mile stretch. It takes me 12-16 minutes depending on traffic and red
lights to go 2.5 miles, so my average speed is VERY low. I'm not going to hit
the plowed freeway at 60mph in 4-high, I like my transfer case in one piece,
thanks. ;)

To clarify:
I work in a position for the local hospitals that *requires* me to show up no
matter what the weather. I've driven in severe winters for the last 10 years,
with commutes as low as 2.5 miles to 35 miles each way. I've been one of the
smug 2wd people cruising on decent snow tires laughing at the pickup truck/SUV
in the middle of a field on bald all-season tires with the owner wondering how
the heck he got there. I'm well aware 4wd doesn't help with braking. I see 4wd
as a stability enhancer and for assistance with acceleration, especially making
those lovely mandatory free-lefts at intersections with oncoming traffic. That
and helping me get to work after we get 2' of snow dropped on us in 24 hours
like last December. Last year my boss had to pick me up in his Jeep.
Embarrassing.

My only goal is to not slide through intersections, into the back of other
vehicles, or to have the rear end catch traction on a icey snow-rut and fling
the ass end of the truck into the car next to me when accelerating from a green
light.

MattB