Re: Re: oil burner conversion?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 14:27:55 EST

On Nov 28, 2009, at 13:23 , jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Emissions
> inspections are another thing you may need to consider; I don't know
> how IL is, but considering that its a pretty blue state and its got
> Chicago, I'm guessing your requirements are similarly draconion to
> ours in NY. Here, any OBD-II vehicle needs to be plugged in to check
> for codes and such.

In many states, you MUST install an engine from the same model year or newer than the recipient in order to stay legal.

Here in upstate NY, they do NOT require emissions testing for diesels, so no OBD-II concerns. The model year thing may still be an issue though.

the VW TDIs are also popular swaps. Easy to mate to Toyota transmissions for rear and four wheel drive. Can be souped up to 200-250 foot pounds very easily, spend money and you can get that 1.9L to push over 300, and close to 200hp. A little weak for a nearly fullsize truck I think, but great for Toyotas and Rangers and the like. I'd love to put one in a Grand Cherokee myself..... I had to pass up a wrecked Golf when the trans in my Cummins went out, otherwise I'd probably me undertaking that swap.

Mike