Re: Re: oil burner conversion?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Dec 05 2009 - 20:59:20 EST

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2009, at 13:23 , jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

>> Emissions
>> inspections are another thing you may need to consider; I don't know
>> how IL is, but considering that its a pretty blue state and its got
>> Chicago, I'm guessing your requirements are similarly draconion to
>> ours in NY. Here, any OBD-II vehicle needs to be plugged in to check
>> for codes and such.

> In many states, you MUST install an engine from the same model year
> or newer than the recipient in order to stay legal.

> Here in upstate NY, they do NOT require emissions testing for
> diesels, so no OBD-II concerns. The model year thing may still be
> an issue though.

   Good point - I forgot about the lack of emissions check on diesels
here. I dunno if that would work on a transplant though. For
example, swapping a 4BT into a 1998 Dak, when no such engine option
exists. I don't know how restrictive the DMV computer system is - I
would think that once it is given the vehicle's VIN (scanned from the
registration), its going to see what engine it was built with and want
the tech to plug in for an OBD-II check. I don't know if there is an
option for the tech to say "not applicable"?

    I was in the Home Depot parking lot today when a Frito Lay truck
clattered in and parked next to me. I thought to myself, "I know what
engine you're running!" :-) He was in the store for a while too, a
determined team probably could've yanked it before he came back out.
;-)

--
                                          -Jon-