Re: Another one of my stupid ideas

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 20:06:48 EST

teseract@moparhowto.com wrote:
> Anyone ever modified the 4wd floor shifter on their Dakota (2nd gen in my case)
> so it's "easier at hand"? The bloody thing is so far down and under the dash
> that getting to it when you need it is a pain for lazy blokes like me who don't
> enjoy taking their eyes off the road to shift into 4HI on the fly.

    I have not modified the 4wd selector, but I've done something
similar for the shift lever. I should think it would be fairly
similar - possibly just use a rod coupling nut of some type so that
you can use some threaded rod to extend the shifter, bent into
whatever shape works for you. Here is how I modified the shift lever,
might give you some ideas:

http://www.dakota-truck.net/UPGRADES/SHIFTER/shifter.html

    Instead of using the threads, you might be able to bolt a piece of
rod to the side of the shifter using some U-bolts. (I forget what the
transfer case lever looks like in the Dak since I don't have any 4wd
Daks.)

--
                                          -Jon-