Re: Winter tires

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jan 01 2010 - 20:37:32 EST

"Jay & Dana" <jdbear@shaw.ca> wrote:

> First off Happy New Year to all on the DML, and a special Happy New Year to
> Rascal.

> On my 97 4x4 is there any problems with running a P rated winter tire
> (P235-75R-15)as opposed to a LT235-75R-15?

    No, that should not be a problem. The main thing to be aware of
with a P tire as opposed to LT is that the load rating on the P tire
is typically less. So, check the load ratings on a prospective tire
before purchasing to make sure that it will work for you. Obviously,
this is more of a concern for people who use their truck as a truck -
carrying heavy loads, etc. If the truck is running empty most of the
time, i.e. drag raced or being used as a passenger vehicle, then you
can probably get away with a passenger tire.

    Now that I think about it, I don't know if any Dakota came from
the factory with LT tires. Maybe someone else can confirm/deny this,
but I think all Daks are equipped with P tires. (If in doubt, you can
check the driver's side door placard.) I don't think the LT tires
start coming into play until you move up to something like a 2500 or
3500 series Ram.

--
                                          -Jon-