Re: tracking down suspension rattle

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Jan 12 2010 - 10:01:59 EST

On Jan 10, 2010, at 22:01 , David Margrave wrote:

> I just replaced the lower ball joints (and uppers a couple years
> back), and also CV axles which needed it (they were clunking in
> reverse when backing out of the driveway). It has decreased the
> suspension rattle I occasionally feel through the steering wheel and
> brake pedal, but not eliminated it. It is most noticeable while
> braking, the moment before coming to a complete stop and maybe
> sometimes right after, I can feel some rattle. The ball joints have
> improved things but I want to track down the last source of rattle.

you feel it in the steering wheel more than anywhere else, right?

Steering shaft. The cab moves around as you stop due to the soft cab mount bushings, and the slip in the steering shaft is getting sticky.

It's not too bad a job but the part price is murder. One you find in a junkyard will probably be no better than yours. I've done a bunch of custom crap to mine but I've spent much more in yokes and joints and steering slop than if I'd just spent the $300 or so in the first place.

Mike