Re: RE: Re: Can I please get a confirmation?

From: Tom Coulter (metalshop@optonline.net)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2010 - 15:23:20 EDT

We're totally on the same page, Mike. Now that I've stared at it long
enough, and even drilled a 1" hold in the bottom of the chassis member, I
can see what the hell's going on.

THERE ARE NO BOLTS AT THE BOTTOM! (Though there are two bolts in the new
after-market condenser I bought, and that's partly what threw me off ...)

The lower corners of the radiator fit into depressions in the outer edge of
a plastic cradle.

The condenser is mounted to the plastic housing which has 2 flat "arms"
(about a foot apart) extending backwards from the condenser. On the bottoms
of these 2 arms is a rubber tit that fits into a punched hole in the chassis
member. You have to raise the radiator about 1" in order to allow these
plastic arms to be lifted and the condenser (along with its housing) to be
scooted forward. The next problem is that, even as the condenser is slid
all the way forward (until it hits the inside of the front bumper), the back
of the arms won't clear the front side of the radiator. This means that the
radiator (apparently) must be completely removed. This is insane
engineering!

The other approach (which you mentioned) is to have the front bumper
removed. If I was as lucky as you and had the font bumper off, I'd already
have the job done. But, as you said, it looks like a nightmare to remove
the front bumper. You're exactly right: it's a real coin toss as to
whether it's easier to remove the radiator or front bumper.

Sad truth: NEITHER should be necessary !!!!!!!!!