Re: Upgrade advice

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2010 - 15:46:44 EDT

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, TerribleTom wrote:

> That is what my thoughts are leading me to... only hesitation I have is that
> its a 4 banger.. and while its a big 4 banger (2.7L) its still got a low tow
> rating. While I don't need to pull a 5th wheel... I find that my Ram with
> its big ass 360 is horrible for towing anything. I'm left wondering if a
> taco that weighs only about 1100 lbs less, with far less motor... will
> totally suck when loaded down. When I haul stuff I tend to haul a lot.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes, a 4 banger will suck, a LOT."
Remember that most import engines have impressive-sounding HP ratings that
they generate only by spinning at 9000 RPMS, instead of having any actual
torque to back up the number they print in the ads.

I think you need to look at something with a longer wheelbase, possibly
lower to the ground. Unfortunately, wheeling and towing kind of require
opposite types of trucks (except for the whole "biggest engine you can
find" thing). The trick is figuring out the best middle ground.